SEO continues to pick up interest as business owners want to know how to maximize their Google rank for their company’s website. SEO is an important part of Google rank because it increases a website’s visibility.
Proper SEO applies to anyone who has a website and is striving to improve their search engine rank and get noticed by their target audience seeking to solve a particular problem.
However, we see it again and again. The term SEO is intimidating to clients, and the process can be overwhelming – as if it’s a necessary evil. But, never fear, SEO can be broken down with a manageable and doable approach.
This post will explain what SEO is, why SEO is important, and provide four ways to improve your Google rank.
Why is SEO Important?
The basic concept of SEO is creating content that satisfies search intent. This means, as a business, you must know who your audience is and what they’re searching for. You want your content to have answers to their problems. This problem/answer match is found in keywords.
Your website content must have these keywords, including key placement in the backend structure of the site.
How to Improve SEO and Google Rank for Your Website
1. Conduct keyword research and planning.
- Determine a list of keywords. Consider search intent and identify keyword opportunities. This means thinking like a customer.
- Plug your keywords into keyword research tools like keywordtool.io, Ahrefs, and Semrush.
- Evaluate the list to determine the most winnable keywords and the most likely to convert based on importance, search volume, and competition.
- Setup automated tracking of keywords using the same tools.
2. On-page optimization.
Optimize page-specific elements like title tags, headings, content, and internal links with keywords. Then weave keywords into content (not stuffing) and revise for general readability. Pay attention to keyword density (or how often your keyword appears); include primary keywords, but also synonyms and long-tail keywords. Make sure your images are optimized with alt attributes which are the text alternative to images, so a browser can properly render them. Using alt attributes is probably the best way for your e-commerce products to appear in Google images and web search.
3. Add additional horsepower with paid ads.
Search engine marketing is helpful in addition to search engine optimization because SEM, or PPC ads, help connect to a broader audience online.
- How many leads are you trying to acquire?
- Determine how much you’re willing to spend to get a lead.
- Go back to the keyword planner and determine how much your keyword costs or CPC (Cost Per Click).
Google ads will guide you on cost. For example, if your budget is $1500 and your keyword is $5 per click, you’ll get approximately 300 leads to your site. Google ads will give you a recommended ad spend range. You can choose whatever you’re comfortable with within that range. Send a start and end date. Adjust as needed, paying for as little as possible for the best place on Google.
4. Monitor progress with Google Analytics and monthly reports.
Google Analytics can provide monthly reports that summarize progress. Watch website traffic numbers, time on page, bounce rate, and conversion rate and overall impressions (number of times people saw your link on Google).
The key takeaway is that SEO is important for Google rank so that your business will show up as the solution for your audience’s problems and there is a manageable approach to making it happen. The four steps listed above are great ways to improve your SEO and Google rank. With these intentional steps, you’ll position yourself to rank higher so your audience can find your business.
We’d love to hear your thoughts or questions! Always here to help.
Learn more about SEO here.